As the new executive director of the San Marino Schools Foundation, James Lau said he has learned that San Marino is blessed with charitable parents and groups to keep the foundation going. Continue reading “SMSF Chief’s Reminder on School Funding Gap”
City Manager Marcella Marlowe is busy ironing out a formal budget proposal for later this month after the City Council last week approved or disapproved portions of a preliminary budget presentation. Continue reading “City Council Starts Whittling Budget Plan”
In light of a judge’s decision denying a temporary restraining order application, Chris Norgaard and attorney Guy Glazier have amended their lawsuit against officials with the San Marino Unified School District. Continue reading “Norgaard Revising Lawsuit Against School District”
One of San Marino’s key annual events is back and ready to bring the community together again to celebrate the nation’s Independence Day.
San Marino’s Fourth of July Celebration, complete with parade and fireworks display, will begin at 7 a.m. Wednesday, with Lacy Park opening at its Virginia Road entrance to allow attendees to lay claim to their spots for the day. People may use blankets or chairs to designate their areas, but may not stick anything into the ground or use plastic sheeting as a substitute. Continue reading “City to Parade, Party on July 4”
The City Council will publicly review budget proposals for the city and its various departments at its Friday study session in the Barth Room at Crowell Public Library.
The budget presentation by City Manager Marcella Marlowe will include the base operating budget, the Capital Improvement Plan, Strategic Plan items, organizational investment items, additional needs and program suggestions, and changes to fund balance reserves. Continue reading “Public Meeting on Budget Proposals This Friday”
An attorney for school board member Chris Norgaard said he plans to amend a lawsuit against school district officials after a federal judge this week denied his request for a temporary restraining order that would have permitted Norgaard to resume participation in the evaluation of Superintendent Alex Cherniss. Continue reading “Judge Denies Norgaard Request”
“I’m so grateful I spent 32 months in prison. I don’t recommend it, but I’m grateful.”
These were the words from a frank and honest Ryan Leaf, the former star quarterback from Washington State University who flamed out of the NFL after being drafted second overall in 1998 and fell into a spiral of well-documented substance abuse. He was speaking Friday at USC Verdugo Hills Hospital, on behalf of the YMCA of the Foothills, as a man who had to face the music for his drug abuse and knows his work is far from over. Continue reading “Ex-QB Leaf Shares Tale of Downfall, Recovery”
Attorneys for San Marino school board member Chris Norgaard said this week that a statement filed in court by Superintendent Alex Cherniss is a public smear against the longtime official and also disputed an assertion that Norgaard’s application for a restraining order was untimely.
Norgaard’s request for a temporary restraining order — the second he has filed this month in federal court, after an earlier application was rejected — seeks to allow Norgaard to take part in meetings with the four other school board members to evaluate Cherniss’ job performance, even though Norgaard is now suing all of them for alleged defamation and violations of his civil rights. Continue reading “School Officials, Norgaard Spar Over Restraining Order Request”
It’s a gold medal for San Marino High School, at least according to the latest U.S. News & World Report Best High Schools ranking it compiles annually.
The San Marino Unified School District high school ranked 61st in all of California (which includes charter and magnet schools); U.S. News ranked nearly 700 high schools in this state, of which 85 — including SMHS — earned gold medal accolades for being among the nation’s top 500 high schools in terms of college readiness. Continue reading “U.S. News & World Report Ranks SMHS”
The city’s next steps regarding the Recreation Department will be among the first orders of business after the next fiscal year begins in September, following a unanimous City Council decision last Wednesday, June 13, to undergo an expedited scrub-down of the beleaguered department.
The City Council appointed Mayor Steve Talt and Councilman Ken Ude as an ad hoc committee that will work with a blue-ribbon panel of five residents to assemble a long-term plan for the Recreation Department that will ostensibly include community use and cost recovery parameters, establish a funding maximum for each fiscal year and identify programs to expand or eliminate. Continue reading “Committee to Look at Recreation Department”