The John Burroughs girls’ tennis team had its record dip to 1-2 with a 13-5 loss to league rival Crescenta Valley High School of La Crescenta on Thursday afternoon. For Burroughs, No. 1 singles player Isabella Harris-Bermudez bounced back nicely after dropping her first set, winning her next two 6-2, 6-2 to finish the day at 2-1. No. 2 Isabella Munguia and No. 3 Lauren Pieri each won one set apiece. Munguia went 0-6, 3-6, 6-3 on the day while Pieri went 0-6, 3-6, 6-1. But the Indians struggled in doubles, winning just one of their nine sets as No. 2 Kelli Brahms and Vanessa Muga beat their CV counterparts 6-3. Brahams and Muga dropped their other set 2-6. No. 1 duo Elane Shane and Kaitlyn Glaim lost their only set of the day 3-6 and Kyrsten Tyler and Nicole Concepcion lost their two sets 2-6, 0-6. No. 3 team Madison Safarik and Valerie Lentine got swept 0-6, 6-7, 6-2, while Ava Marye and Meagan Voh lost their only set 1-6.
After a nearly 18-month layoff due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Glendale and Burbank high schools’ girls tennis teams recently opened the season at Glendale, taking to the courts for the first time. The host Nitros secured a 10-8 win in their first match under new head coach Jim Jenks, who took over from Tom Gossard after the 2019 season. “It was great to get out and get the girls moving again. I think they needed it, I needed it and we’re all excited to be out here once again,” Jenks said. Glendale welcomed a limited number of family members, all masked and distanced throughout the school’s six tennis courts, to cheer on players from both teams. Coaches mingled with parents — many of whom had never met the coaches in person, especially in Jenks’ case — and instructed players during between-match breaks. Players shared encouragement or consolation with their teammates.
Thirteen months after their 2020 season — and their No. 1 player’s bid for a league championship in singles — was cut short due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Burbank High School boys’ tennis throttled host Glendale High, 17-1, on Wednesday in the season opener for both teams. Adam Ridaoui, the Bulldogs’ top player, only lost one game in his sophomore season debut, sweeping his sets 6-1, 6-0, 6-0. Burbank’s No. 2, senior Abasi Abukusumo, also went undefeated on the day, going 6-3, 6-0, 6-4. “They looked sharp,” Bulldogs head coach Loi Phan said. “We actually got a couple of practices together, so we look good. We got a couple freshmen [and] I’ve been curious to see how they play in a match.”
The John Burroughs High School varsity football team squandered a seven-point lead in the fourth quarter and fell to visiting Arcadia, 21-14, in a Pacific League game last Friday. The Apaches (1-2 overall record) scored two touchdowns in the final quarter to come away with the win. Sophomore quarterback Blake Dycus led the Burroughs offense by completing 13 of 26 passes for 154 yards and two touchdowns. His favorite target was senior receiver John Alajijian, who finished with six receptions for 84 yards and two touchdowns. Gerald Garcia hauled in six passes for 56 yards and Marcus Manahan caught a 14-yard pass. Luke Rogers led the ground game with 91 yards on 20 carries. Drake Vickers and Alajijian led Burroughs with seven tackles apiece, and Brandon Sowers, Jose Oliveros, Angelo Toscano and Garcia contributed six tackles each. Sowers recorded two tackles for a loss, including a sack. Nate Howland-Chhina intercepted a pass and Oliveros blocked a field goal attempt. Burroughs (1-3 overall) hosted Burbank (0-3), which fell to Crescenta Valley 13-6 last week, in a local rivalry game on Friday. The result was past the Leader’s press deadline; coverage will be included in next week’s issue of the Leader.
A county judge has ordered a preliminary injunction against Tinhorn Flats Saloon and Grill, issuing the tentative ruling he made two weeks ago. The preliminary injunction legally replaces the temporary restraining order the city issued barring Tinhorn Flats from operating since March 8. The injunction, as Judge Mitchell Beckloff noted in his tentative ruling, doesn’t place any new requirements on the restaurant. Beckloff issued a tentative ruling on March 26 but Tinhorn Flats’ attorneys requested two weeks to meet with the city’s representatives and seek a compromise. None was reached. “[Tinhorn Flats parent company] Barfly suggests it will suffer grave or irreparable harm from the issuance of a preliminary injunction,” Beckloff wrote in his tentative ruling. “Barfly fails to offer any specific facts or evidence to substantiate its argument. In reality, any harm Barfly has suffered is related to the loss of its health permit and [conditional use permit] after administrative hearings.
A nurse at the local Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center recently received the local State Assembly district’s “Woman of the Year” award. Emelda Pasco, who has worked at the hospital for about 30 years and has cared for COVID-19 patients during the pandemic, was honored at a small ceremony in Burbank. Assemblywoman Laura Friedman, who represents California’s 43rd Assembly District, presented her with the award. Pasco told the Leader she was wary when she was contacted about the award, for two reasons. First, she initially thought it was a spam call. And second, she wondered, “Why me?”
Eight small Burbank restaurants received funds from a county grant program in January aimed to help keep eateries afloat, according to a recent report. The Keep Los Angeles County Dining program provided $30,000 grants to restaurants in the county that have been impacted by the coronavirus. In December, applicants quickly swarmed the $5.6 million program, funded by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, crashing the website and filling the 2,500 application limit within hours. Of those applications, 72 were from Burbank restaurants, according to a program representative. All eight of the Burbank locations — named in a recent L.A. County Development Authority report — that were awarded the grant submitted their applications within 15 minutes of the program’s launch.
After more than 40 years of working for Burbank’s Parks and Recreations Department, Michael “Mickey” DePalo settled into retirement in 2008. It lasted for about a week. After that, DePalo said, it didn’t feel right. He was too used to keeping an active schedule. So he kept on working — volunteering for Meals on Wheels and coaching the cross-country team at Loyola High School in Los Angeles. He joined the city of Burbank Parks and Recreation Board and remained on the Burbank Veterans Commemorative Committee. But despite the 74-year-old’s seemingly inexhaustible commitment to community involvement, in May DePalo will leave the city he’s spent most of his life in, moving with his wife Ledung DePalo to Illinois to be closer to their son and daughter-in-law, who are expecting a child.
After 13 months of being shut down because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Burbank Unified School District is set to reopen its doors to all of its students for limited in-person instruction on Monday. “We’re ready to go,” a relieved Matt Hill, BUSD superintendent, told the Leader on Thursday. “I’m excited. This is the next step.” Though it is not the actual first day of school, Hill plans to continue his tradition of visiting every single school site. “I’ll probably start at an elementary school at around 11:30 a.m. It’s going to take me all week to get to every single one.”
If you’re feeling a bit like you’ve stepped through Lewis Carroll’s looking glass, where up is down and right is left, there’s not a soul who would blame you. With the memories of Passover and Easter celebrations still fresh in our minds, Friday night football is taking place featuring the high school teams from Burbank and Burroughs. What Burbanker would have ever imagined that a time would come when the local gridirons would be seeing action at the same time the city’s Parks and Recreation Department is staging its annual Spring Egg-Stravaganza?