Pair Arrested, Charged in Two Home Burglaries, Police Say

Two suspects remained in custody Tuesday after being charged with burglarizing two San Marino homes and leading police on a high-speed chase last week.
A 20-year-old Los Angeles man and a 15-year-old boy are both charged with two counts of first-degree burglary and one count of evading a police officer, authorities said. The boy was arrested on Tuesday, Nov. 6, shortly after the burglaries were reported, and the 20-year-old man was arrested after San Marino police followed up by reviewing security camera footage from neighboring homes.
Sgt. Candice Torres of the San Marino Police Department said a patrol officer began pursuing the suspects even before the burglaries were reported.
At 10:52 p.m. Nov. 6, the officer reported a newer model Dodge Charger sedan speeding near the intersection of Huntington Drive and Los Robles Avenue and tried pulling the vehicle over. Police said the suspects fled to the 110 Freeway, where the San Marino officer lost sight of them; they were at one point reported to be driving more than 100 mph.
“The burglary hadn’t been reported yet,” Torres said. “He just happened to be driving around on patrol and saw the car speeding.”
Torres said the patrol officer radioed a vehicle description to surrounding law enforcement agencies while returning to San Marino, where he was called to the 1400 block of Chelsea Road in response to the report of a burglary said to have occurred at around 10:30 p.m. Another burglary was reported in the 1400 block of Pasqualito Drive, occurring around 10:40 p.m.
California Highway Patrol officers then contacted SMPD regarding the Charger, which was stopped on the 110 after apparently running out of gas. The 15-year-old, who was with the vehicle, was arrested there after CHP officers located property from the homes, police said.
“By the time CHP got the message, they were out there with the disabled vehicle already,” Torres said. “It was just the best timing. The patrol officer happened to be at the right place at the right time and they were quick enough to contact the surrounding agencies.”
The 20-year-old, who Torres said is believed to have abandoned the Charger after it was disabled, was arrested with help from follow-up interviews and camera footage. Torres said they were charged with first-degree burglary, a felony allegation that was upgraded from a simple burglary charge because residents were at home during both incidents.
Both suspects pleaded not guilty when they were arraigned on Friday, Nov. 9, and were still in custody this week. The 20-year-old’s next court date was scheduled for Nov. 29.
Torres said the investigation is ongoing and there could potentially be additional arrests. Anyone with information is urged to contact Detective Naved Qureshi at (626) 300-0728.

Leave a Reply